This information is written and provided by a community member…
The facts about Cerebral Palsy:
- 1 in 278 children are born with Cerebral Palsy (CP).
- There are 764,000 children and adults in the United States with Cerebral Palsy.
- Each year about 10,000 babies and infants are diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy.
- About 30% of children with CP have Seizures.
- The Average lifetime medical costs per person were estimated at $921,000 in 2003 dollars.
- The most common type of cerebral palsy is the spastic form, which is characterized by rigid muscle tone (i.e., spasticity).
There are five types of spastic Cerebral Palsy:
- Diplegia : affects both arms or both legs
- Hemiplegia : affects limbs on one side of the body
- Quadriplegia : affects all limbs
- Monoplegia : affects only one limb (rare)
- Triplegia : affects three limbs (rare)
Let’s Cure CP is a non-profit focused on finding a cure for Cerebral Palsy. A group of parents founded the organization in March, 2010 to raise money and support research for regenerative medicine here in the US. To date very little research concerning regenerative medicine has by done in the US and the studies that have been completed are generally around cord blood.
Only 2% of the CP population typically has cord blood and is able to participate in the those studies. LCCP wants to make regenerative medicine available to all children with CP. The following shows the types of studies LCCP is supporting.
We should note that current therapies are not cures for CP but they are our current best hope for a cure and the only existing path that is looking to cure the cause of CP not just treat the symptoms.
LCCP is trying to raising funds to support the studies and awareness of these potential therapies. To raise awareness LCCP is hosting a series of FREE webinars with experts in the field of regenerative medicine. Our first webinar is September 12th at 8:00 PM ET. To register for the event and find out more about Let’s Cure CP Like us on our Facebook page. You can also sign up for our email newsletter at Let’s Cure CP.org.
Twitter ID: @metzgerbusines and @TheDADvocate
Note: To support the site we make money on some products, product categories and services that we talk about on this website through affiliate relationships with the merchants in question. We get a small commission on sales of those products.That in no way affects our opinions of those products and services.